It seems that as atheists, there are a lot of arguments brought against us that people think we haven’t heard before. After my apologetics teacher said a number of these in class over the past week, including the watchmaker analogy, I realized that there are a lot of things that atheists have to hear all the time. Most of them haven’t been said to me, but I see them thrown around all the time. Thank you to my fiance and to some of my Twitter followers for helping me think of ideas! In no particular order, here are 34 things that atheists are tired of hearing:
- The only reason you don’t believe is because you don’t want to be obedient.
- Evolution is just a theory!
- Science changes its story all the time, but the Bible never changes because it’s the truth!
- The watchmaker analogy.
- You believe deep down, but you’re not willing to admit it because God would punish you for being a sinner.
- It’s dangerous to be a Christian these days because we are being persecuted in this secular society.
- If not the Bible, where do you get your morals from?
- Evolutionists took Intelligent Design out of public schools, because they’re afraid of it because it’s true.
- It takes just as much faith to be an atheist!
- Atheism is dangerous because it claims that man is his own god.
- When God does things that don’t make sense, just trust him and have faith.
- I’ve experienced God personally, so he’s real.
- So do you think you’re smarter than everyone else?
- This is a Christian country.
- Why don’t you believe? Is it because something bad happened to you?
- Just wait until you’re dead!
- Just read the Bible.
- I’m praying for you.
- Hitler and Stalin were atheists.
- There’s no proof that God doesn’t exist.
- Why do you hate God?
- We all have a God-shaped hole in our hearts.
- Without religion, society would fall to chaos.
- Without God, there is no meaning.
- Even though you don’t believe in God, he still believes in you.
- You can’t look at the beautiful sky and tell me no one created that.
- You’re going to hell!
- We don’t see wind either but we know it’s there.
- If evolution is real then why are there still monkeys?
- What if you’re wrong?
- You’re saying all this happened by chance?
- So do you even believe in anything?
- There are no atheists in foxholes.
- You’re taking it out of context!
So there they are! If you’re an atheist, I hope that you enjoyed reading and found this list relatable! If you’re not an atheist, please take notes on what not to say to one, as there is a 100% chance that we’ve already heard almost everything on this list.
Did I leave anything out? Have you heard any annoying remarks towards atheists lately? Let me know in the comments! And if you want to help me out with any future posts and stay in the know, be sure to follow me on Twitter as well!